Erring government execs should be fired, says CDO bishop
Heads should roll.
Government officials who failed to do their work and contributed to the catastrophe wrought by Tropical Storm “Sendong” should be fired, Cagayan de Oro Archbishop Antonio Ledesma said Tuesday.
In an interview over Church-run Radio Veritas, Ledesma said these officials should be held accountable to avoid a repeat of the tragedy, which had already left 1,000 people dead and hundreds missing.
“Someone should answer for this. That is also what we are looking at now. For a long time, we’ve been asking for water shed protection, water basin protection because this would affect not just those from the lowland area of Cagayan de Oro but also those from the north-western part of Bukidnon,” Ledesma said.
“So, there should be coordination with the local government and the government should also look for a proper relocation site for our countrymen so that this (tragedy) would not happen again,” he added.
Mining firms accountable
Sorsogon Bishop Arturo Bastes said mining companies should be held accountable.
“Mining companies are the ones responsible for cutting trees. They are the ones destroying the country’s environment. They have the obligation to help the people in Mindanao especially those who were devastated by this calamity,” Bastes said.
He said President Benigno Aquino III should scrap his policy to encourage more mining companies to invest in the country.
“He should scrap that mining thing! It is he who is the primary supporter of mining activities in the country. He should have foresight. I’d like him to be more prudent. He should look after our future and not (the future) of foreign mining companies that destroy our environment,” Bastes said.
He also criticized Mr. Aquino for attending the Presidential Security Group Christmas party right after the storm struck.
“I am not so happy about that news. He partied while hundreds died in Mindanao. I’m so disappointed. Being the father of the nation, he should take care of those killed. His first reaction should have been to go to Mindanao immediately and not (on Tuesday) only,” Bastes said.
The archdiocese of Manila and Caritas Manila sent P2.4 million for typhoon victims in Iligan and Cagayan de Oro.
Fr. Anton Pascual, Caritas Manila executive director, said Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Tagle had announced that the archdiocese sent P1 million each to victims in both cities.
Pascual added that Caritas Manila also sent P200,000 each for the diocese of Iligan and the archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro for the storm victims.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.