Lotto shutdown may fuel resurgence of ‘jueteng,’ – Albayalde
MANILA, Philippines – The illegal numbers game “jueteng” may gain widespread patronage anew following the stalled operations of Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office’s (PCSO) lottery and other games, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde said Monday.
“It is a possibility. We are not saying it will happen but it is a possibility na pag-usbong ulit ng illegal numbers gaming, particularly jueteng (Illegal numbers games may resurface),” Albayalde said in a press briefing at Camp Crame.
Albayalde said the PNP has also received intelligence information that “jueteng” operations are continuing in at least two provinces in Central Luzon.
In 2016, the PCSO said it would implement stricter rules and regulations for small town lottery operations to finally eliminate “jueteng.”
In June this year, Duterte, however, said that he would rather leave jueteng activities alone since the illegal drug trade may take over if the numbers racket is stopped.
Data from the PNP released on Monday said a total of 30,284 PCSO lotto/gaming outlets have been shut down and have ceased operations, after Duterte last week ordered the stoppage of the lottery games due to reported cases of corruption. /gsg
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.