N. Korea rejects food aid over S. Korea-US military drills | Inquirer News

N. Korea rejects food aid over S. Korea-US military drills

/ 04:35 PM July 24, 2019

N. Korea rejects food aid over S. Korea-US military drills

A total of 5,000 tons of rice is loaded at the South Korean port of Gunsan on Oct. 22, 2010, for delivery to the North Korean city of Sinuiju, hit hard by downpours in August of the year. Yonhap via The Korea Herald

SEOUL — South Korea hopes to deliver food aid to North Korea as initially planned, despite Pyongyang’s refusal to accept it in demonstration of the regime’s discontent with the upcoming joint military exercise with the US.

The Unification Ministry said Wednesday that North Korea’s working-level officials have expressed “a negative view” on South Korea’s assistance of 50,000 tons of rice, citing the joint military drills scheduled for next month.

ADVERTISEMENT

The World Food Program’s office in Pyongyang, which is in charge of overseeing the food donation, informed Seoul last weekend about the refusal following meetings with officials of North Korea’s Foreign Ministry.

FEATURED STORIES

In June, the government announced its aid plan to offer rice via the UN agency to help the North which is suffering from a severe food security crisis due to floods and heat waves.

According to the Commodity Intelligence Report issued by US Department of Agriculture Monday, North Korea is estimated to produce 1.36 million tons of rice this year, the lowest level in 10 years.

“The WFP was informed of the North’s stance during working-level talks,” the Ministry of Unification deputy spokesperson Kim Eun-han said during a regular briefing.

Kim said the government is trying to confirm the North’s official position through the WFP.

If North Korea issues an official notification or credible remarks by senior officials, that would be regarded as the regime’s formal decline of Seoul’s humanitarian assistance.

“The government hopes that the shipment of 50,000 tons of rice will be completed by September as originally planned,” Kim said.

ADVERTISEMENT

In recent weeks, North Korea has been expressing its displeasure with the 19-2 Dong Maeng military drills.

On July 16, a spokesman for North Korea’s Foreign Ministry told state media that Trump reaffirmed halting military exercises during his meeting with Kim last month, and the US decision to forge ahead with them was “clearly a breach” of their agreement at a summit in Singapore last year.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Seoul’s Defense Ministry said Monday the name and timing of the latest military exercise would be confirmed after consulting the US.

TAGS: Asia, Diplomacy, Food Aid, Military, North Korea, South korea

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.