Man’s vape explodes in pocket, gives him third-degree burns

/ 07:09 PM July 21, 2019

A man sustained third-degree burns after his vape exploded in his pants in Gateshead, United Kingdom

The incident began when David Charlton heard a fizzing noise from the left pocket of his pants last June 21, as per The Sun on Friday, July 19.



INQUIRER.net stock photo

The vape then melted through his pants, causing the fabric to catch fire and burn a hole through the seat of the car he was driving. As it hit the car’s floor it exploded “like a rocket.”

Charlton was rushed to a hospital where employees had to peel off the melted fabric off of him and perform skin transplants.


“I’ve never felt anything like that before. So dangerous,” he was quoted as saying. “It was excruciating pain. My leg was literally on fire.”

Since the incident, Charlton has been off work for three weeks and has been in and out of the hospital to continue treating his leg. He said the explosion has not affected his capacity to walk and that he is “glad to have both legs.”

Charlton, who has been smoking for 20 years, warns all vape users to only buy vape kits from well-known brands. As per report, he bought his unbranded vape from an independent retail outlet. Ryan Arcadio/JB


Smoking kills, vaping doesn’t

DOH, DOF welcome additional tax on vape, e-cigarettes

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: burns, injury, smokers, United Kindgom, vape
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.