CIDG nabs 2 suspects; rescues 9 victims of human trafficking
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) arrested two suspects for alleged human trafficking activities, while nine victims were rescued in an operation launched in Catanduanes on Saturday morning.
During the entrapment operation, CIDG agents apprehended 28-year-old cashier Jomar Gueta and 23-year-old waitress Sherlyn Mae Canillas in a karaoke bar located at Barangay San Vicente, Virac at about 12:45 a.m.
The CIDG also announced the rescue of the following victims:
1. Alias “Girly”, 31 y/o, Francis Vil Subdivision, Antipolo, Rizal;
2. Alias “Gelie” Matanog, 20 y/o, Brgy. Muzon, Taytay, Rizal;
3. Alias “Armi”, 24 y/o, Brgy. Molave, Angono, Rizal;
4. Alias “Daniela” 20 y/o, Brgy. Tatala Sunshine, Cardona, Rizal;
5. Alias “Joy”, 23 y/o, Brgy. Mambugan, Antipolo, Rizal;
6. Alias “Iza”, 21 y/o, Brgy. Muzon, Taytay, Rizal;
7. Alias “Julia”, 30 y/o, Brgy. 176 Bagong Silang, Caloocan City;
8. Alias “Myra”, 26 y/o, Brgy. Pawpawan, Baras, Rizal; and
9. Alias “Anne”, 24 y/o, Brgy. Dela Paz, Antipolo City, Rizal
CIDG director Maj. Gen. Amador Corpus said the victims were recruited from Rizal by the bar owner.
Seized were P500 worth of cash and P2,000 worth of boodle money used in the entrapment operation.
The suspects were brought to CIDG Catanduanes Office for documentation and filing of charges while the victims were brought to Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office of Catanduanes Province for rescue services. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.