3 Metrobank guards not yet ‘off the hook’ – MPD chief Danao
MANILA, Philippines — Three security guards of the Metrobank branch in Binondo, Manila that was robbed on Thursday morning are not yet “off the hook,” Police Brig. Gen. Vicente Danao, chief of the Manila Police District (MPD), said.
“Kasama pa namin hanggang ngayon yung tatlong gwardya,” Danao said in a press briefing at the Manila City Hall on Friday.
“When I was with the interviewing team—sa ating mga gwardya—so far, very cooperative sila, ako I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt na they’re also victims, but nonetheless, that will not be suffice, na sila ay off the hook na,” he further said.
According to Danao, the three security guards remain at MPD’s Station 11 for further questioning.
“We just have to ask questions pa, para ma-answer po lahat ng doubt natin doon,” he said.
As for the manager, employees, and other officers of the bank, the MPD chief said: “Lahat po ng tao doon sa loob kahit po yung ating manager, will be subjected for questioning, lahat po sila doon will be considered for person of interest, so until such time na ma-rule out natin na wala silang participation, saka po natin sila ire-release isa-isa.”
Metrobank’s personnel, Danao earlier said, only allowed police officers to enter the bank two hours after the robbery.
The bank personnel cited Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) rules as a reason to delay the police officer’s inspection of the place.
Danao also earlier said that it was “unusual” that the robbers easily gained entry into the bank prior to its banking hours.
“Kung makikita kasi natin yung mga CCTV footage, the suspects entered the bank which is before 9 a.m. The rule is it should be exactly or after 9 a.m.,” he said.
“According sa CCTV natin, the suspects entered the bank at 8:43, which is very unusual para sa isang bangko na magbukas before the banking hours (Based on the CCTV footage, the suspects entered the bank at 8:43 a.m. It’s very unusual for a bank to open its doors before banking hours),” Danao further pointed out.
Station 11 Commander Police Lt. Col. Noel Aliño said there were at least three security guards inside the bank when the robbery happened.
But the culprits, Danao noted, did not threaten the security guards.
Two of the guards were armed with shotguns and the other had a .38-cal. revolver, Aliño said.
Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso on Thursday already offered a P1 million reward for any information that would lead to the arrest of the robbers.
Danao, meanwhile said in the press briefing, that authorities are still establishing the identity of the suspects.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.