Duterte prevented bloody speakership dispute – Salceda
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte’s intervention in the race for House speaker prevented a possible “bloody floor fight” when the 18th Congress opens later this month, Albay Rep. Joey Salceda said on Wednesday.
Salceda said members of the House of Representatives normally have an idea on who will be the next speaker after the midterm elections, but the case was different this time.
“Pero ngayon hindi. Nagtatlo ‘yung lumabas [na possible Speaker]. Ang ayaw namin [is] by Sona (State of the Nation Address), magkakaroon kami ng bloody floor fight, kung natuloy na hindi talaga pumili si Presidente,” he said in an interview with ABS-CBN News Channel.
(But now it is different. Three possible speakers emerged. We do not want to have a bloody floor fight during Sona, which might have happened if Duterte did not endorse anyone.)
Salceda said the possibility of not having a speaker at the opening of the 18th Congress was “very real,” since all candidates — Taguig-Pateros Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano, Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco and Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez — claimed to have earned the support of the fellow representatives.
President Rodrigo Duterte had earlier endorsed Cayetano to be the next speaker for 15 months. He will share the term with Velasco, who will assume the post for 21 months.
Romualdez, meanwhile, was endorsed as House majority leader. /gsg
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.