DNA test results for Sulu bomber could take a month — Wesmincom | Inquirer News
Close  

DNA test results for Sulu bomber could take a month — Wesmincom

/ 04:28 PM July 05, 2019

TARLAC CITY, Philippines — It would take a month to release the results of the DNA test to determine the identity of the first of two apparent suicide attackers who set off bombs in Sulu last week.

Western Mindanao Command chief Maj. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana said the DNA samples of the first bomber were submitted only two days ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Sinabi ng mga American counterpart na one month pa daw ang result. Yung una sabi 10 days daw may result na ng DNA pero nagsabi ang mga Amerikano na baka abutin daw ng one month to complete the DNA testing,” he told reporters.

(Our American counterparts said it would take a month to know the results. At first, they said it’s just 10 days, but later they said it may take a month to complete the DNA test.)

FEATURED STORIES

The bombing exactly a week ago in Indanan, Sulu killed eight people and wounded 22 others.

READ: IS claims Sulu suicide bombing; 8 dead

On Monday, the mother of the first bomber went to the headquarters of the Joint Task Force Sulu to secure the remaining body parts of her son.

The bomber was identified by his mother as Norman Lasuca, 23, a resident of Asturias, Jolo. Sobejana said Lasuca left his family in 2014 and did not return since.

READ: One of 2 Sulu bombers identified by own mother

But this is not enough proof for the military to believe that the bomber was Filipino.

“We are waiting for the results of the DNA para maging conclusive ang findings kung Pilipino or anak ng mother nung nag claim (to make conclusive the findings of the bomber is really a Filipino and if he is really the son of the woman who came forward to claim his remains),” Sobejana said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lasuca’s bomb went off after soldiers stopped him at the gate of the 1st Battalion Combat Team’s military camp in Indanan.

The second bomber tried to go inside the camp but was shot by soldiers and then his bomb exploded.

Sobejana said they had adjusted the security procedures of the ground troops after the incident.

“It is very high risk on the part of the soldiers lalo na sa nagbabatay sa gate (especially those guarding the gate)… We are coming up with new tactics, techniques, and procedures to counter the new trend, but I can’t share it to the public,” he said. (Editor: Eden Estopace)

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DNA test, Philippine News, Sulu bombers, Wesmincom, Western Mindanao Command
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.