Close  

Navy to decommission BRP Sultan Kudarat

/ 03:59 PM July 04, 2019
Navy to decommission BRP Sultan Kudarat

BRP Sultan Kudarat (PS-22) with JS Sukutzuki (DD-117) , a Japanese Akizuki Class Destroyer in 2017./ JMSDF

MANILA, Philippines — In anticipation of upcoming ships, the Philippine Navy will decommission the Malvar-class patrol vessel BRP Sultan Kudarat (PS-22) on Friday.

A ceremony for the decommissioning will be held at the Naval Base Heracleo Alano in Sangley Point, Cavite City.

ADVERTISEMENT

BRP Sultan Kudarat, the former USS Crestview (PCE 895) of the US Navy and Dong Da II (HQ-07) of Southern Vietnam, served the Offshore Combat Force of the Philippines for 43 years.

“This is part of the phase-in/phase-out of Philippine Navy floating assets. In preparation for our more capable and modern platforms, we also have to decommission older platforms,” Philippine Fleet commander Rear Adm. Giovanni Bacordo told reporters.

“This has been planned before already… Kung may newer assets tayo, saan mo kukunin ang personnel manning of these assets? We get it from the vessels that will be decommissioned,” he added.

Bacordo said they are also looking to decommission a sister-ship of BRP Sultan Kudarat within this year.

“This August we are expecting BRP Conrado Yap-class corvette, ‘yung Pohang. While meron naman tayong mga personnel doon ngayon sa Korea training and manning the vessel, it’s only about 60 percent. The remaining 40 percent pagdating dito, i-fill up pa natin,” he said. (Editor: Katherine G. Adraneda)

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: BRP Sultan Kudarat, Local news, Malvar-class, Nation, national news, Navy, news, patrol vessel, Philippine news updates
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.