Comelec hears Cardema case
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) will hold its first hearing on Tuesday on the petitions questioning the eligibility of former National Youth Commission chair Ronald Cardema to be the first substitute nominee of the Duterte Youth party list.
Election Commissioner Rowena Guanzon said all parties in the case had been sent notices for the hearing by the Comelec’s First Division.
Guanzon said it was up to Cardema to attend the hearing or not. “If he doesn’t [attend], it’s his loss,” she said.
But according to election lawyer George Garcia, a respondent to a case is not required to attend Comelec hearings.
“Legally, there is no requirement for the respondent to attend … All they have to do is issue an SPA (special power of attorney),” Garcia said.
Garcia said that if he were Cardema’s lawyer, he would advise him to attend the hearing as the poll body may have questions that only he could answer.
The 34-year-old Cardema is facing more than 10 petitions questioning his eligibility to be the nominee of Duterte Youth.
Under the law, a nominee of the youth sector should be not more than 30 years old on Election Day. —Tina G. Santos
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.