PNP warns action if Erwin Tulfo fails to surrender guns
MANILA, Philippines — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police Gen. Oscar Albayalde on Monday said that they will be constrained the necessary action if radio personality Erwin Tulfo fails to surrender his guns.
In a press briefing at Camp Crame, Albayalde said the broadcaster’s license to own and possess firearms (LTOPF) already expired in March 3.
“We will be forced to undertake police actions. Alam naman nila ‘yan (They know that). We’ve done that to several individuals already,” Albayalde said.
The PNP has already sent a letter to Tulfo’s residence and an email, said Brig. Gen. Valeriano De Leon, director of the PNP Firearms and Explosives Office.
De Leon said Tulfo has yet to surrender his guns, as of this posting, although PNP Spokesperson Col. Bernard Banac earlier said Tulfo had already expressed intention to renew his LTOPF.
Albayalde, meanwhile, denied the PNP is targeting Tulfo, who had recently lost his police escorts upon the order of Interior Secretary Eduardo Año, also a former Armed Forces chief.
“Ang ine-emphasize lang natin dito is we are not zeroing in on Mr. Erwin Tulfo. Ito po ay SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) para sa lahat, hindi lang para kay Mr. Erwin Tulfo particularly,” he said.
(What we are emphasizing here is we are not zeroing in on Mr. Erwin Tulfo. This is an SOP for everyone.)
The PNP had earlier recalled for review the security detail of the Tulfo brothers partly due to Erwin’s rants against former Army chief and now Social Welfare Secretary Rolando Bautista for not granting an interview for his radio show. (Editor: Julie Espinosa)
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.