DOJ summons police officers tagged in slay of Glenn Chong’s aide
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Justice (DOJ) summoned 23 police officers to answer a complaint in connection with the death of the aide of former Biliran Representative Glenn Chong and a female companion.
“Subpoenas have been issued to the respondents,” Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Alexander Suarez said.
The respondents, he said, are required to appear for the preliminary investigation set for Thursday and answer the complaint through a counter-affidavit and other supporting evidence.
Last month, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) filed the complaint against Calabarzon police regional director Brig. Gen. Edward Carranza and other police officers of Rizal for the death of Richard Santillan and Gessamyn Casing in Cainta, Rizal in December last year.
READ: NBI charges 21 cops in killing of Glenn Chong’s aide
Named in the complaint for obstruction of justice are Carranza, Rizal provincial director Col. Lou Evangelista, and Cainta police chief Lt. Col. Pablito Naganag.
Meanwhile, facing two counts of murder and one count of planting of evidence are officers from the Cainta police station led by Lt. Sandro Ortega, four officers from the provincial office of the Philippine National Police Highway Patrol Group led by Capt. John Russel Barnacha, and 10 operatives of the Regional Special Operations Unit led by M/Sgt. Rene Eufracio. (Editor: Eden Estopace)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.