MMDA to close east-bound portion of Marcos Bridge on May 25
MANILA, Philippines — The planned closure of a portion of the Marcos Highway Bridge will finally push through on Saturday, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said Thursday.
MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia said the east-bound section of the bridge will be closed on Saturday, May 25, starting 11 p.m.
“On Saturday by 11 p.m., Marcos Bridge east-bound will be closed na for the next 4 months,” Garcia said in a press conference in Makati City.
The Antipolo-bound section of the bridge was originally set to be closed last May 4 for a four- to eight-month “total rehabilitation.” However, it had been deferred “until further notice.”
The closure was postponed because of the failure of private contractors to install signage and implement preparations for traffic rerouting plans in the area.
“Private contractors are now ready to push through with the rehabilitation after complying with the necessary requirements they need to address,” Garcia said.
The closure is expected to affect more than 6,000 motorists that ply the Marcos Highway Bridge as traffic in the area is expected to slow down due to the closure of one lane, Garcia said.
Light vehicles going to Antipolo may take the westbound direction while light vehicles going to Cubao may use the service road in front of SM Marikina wall.
Motorists and truck drivers are advised to take the following alternative routes:
Cubao to Antipolo route:
- From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then right turn to Katipunan Ave., take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
- From Cubao, right turn to 15th Avenue, then left turn to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road, straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
Trucks from Cubao to Antipolo Route:
- From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd, then right turn to Katipunan Avenue, take service road of Libis underpass, left turn to Boni Serrano, straight to FVR Road, take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo
Antipolo to Cubao routes:
- From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway then A. Bonifacio Avenue, straight ahead Aurora Blvd., to Cubao.
- From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and right turn to Fernando Ave, then take A. Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao.
- From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway, take down tamp to Marcos Bridge service road then FVR road, straight ahead right turn to Katipunan Avenue, left turn to Aurora Boulevard, straight ahead to Cubao
- From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then right turn to 20th Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd., to Cubao
Trucks from Antipolo to Cubao Route:
From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road straight ahead, right turn to Katipunan Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead to Cubao. (Editor: Julie Espinosa)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.