outbrain
Close  

DOTr: Charges will be filed if negligence is proven in LRT-2 mishap

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 05:26 PM May 21, 2019
Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade

Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade. INQUIRER.net file photo / YUJI VINCENT GONZALES

MANILA, Philippines–The Department of Transportation (DOTr) will be filing charges against anyone if investigation proves that negligence caused the collision of two trains in the Light Rail Transit Line 2 (LRT-2), Transport Secretary Arthur Tugade vowed on Tuesday.

This development came after a parked LRT-2 train reportedly moved on its own and crashed into another train on the tracks between the Cubao and Anonas stations, injuring 34 people in the process, on Saturday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tugade said he wants to get to the bottom of the incident so that he can “run after those who committed negligence.”

“Ang gusto ko, alamin dapat kung ano ang nangyari at sabihin sa akin nang diretsahan: Is this an accident? Is this a freak accident?” Tugade said in a statement.

FEATURED STORIES

(What I want is to know what really happened and tell me directly: Is this an accident? Is this a freak accident?)

“If so, say it and why? Was there negligence? If so, tell me so that I can run after those who committed negligence. Uusigin ko talaga kayo [I will definitely prosecute you],” he added.

Tugade added that the incident would serve as a “wake-up call” to look at the agency’s policies and procedures in the LRT-2 operations.

The transportion chief vowed that the department and the Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA), which manages the LRT-2, is taking the incident seriously and making all efforts to prevent such incident from happening again.

“Tinitingnan ‘ho namin ito bilang wake-up call o lesson, nang sa gayon ay hindi na maulit,” Tugade said.

(We are considering this as a wake-up call or lesson in order that there will be no repeat of this.)

“Pinangako ‘ho namin ang comfort and convenience ng mga pasahero kaya’t dapat protektado ang mga mananakay. Dapat laging una ang kanilang kaligtasan at seguridad,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

(We assure comfort and convenience for our passengers that is why they should always be protected. It should be their safety and security are our foremost priority.)  

The LRTA has established a fact-finding committee to determine the cause of the collision.

READ: LRTA probes train crash

The management has also promised to shoulder all the medical expenses of the 34 injured passengers in the incident.

READ: LRTA shoulders medical expenses of LRT-2 collision victims

The operations of the whole LRT-2 route had been restored since Sunday.  (Editor: Jonathan P. Vicente)

READ: LRT-2 operations to resume within the day on Sunday

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: collision, DoTr, Local news, LRT 2, Philippine news update, rail system, Transportation
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.