Palace on Duterte’s absence: He neither confirms nor denies he went to hospital
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte neither confirmed nor denied he went to the Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan, Malacañang said Sunday, after speculations that he was hospitalized there.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, however, said Duterte was not hospitalized after his prolonged absence from the public.
“There is no truth to the rumor circulating that President Rodrigo Roa Duterte is confined in Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan,” Panelo said in a statement.
Duterte was last seen in public on May 13 when he cast his vote in Davao City. Since then, he has had no public events.
“The President is in his residence at the Palace signing papers. I just talked to him, he is neither confirming nor denying that he went to the hospital,” Panelo said.
Duterte’s absences in the past have sparked rumors about his deteriorating health.
The 74-year-old chief executive earlier admitted that he suffers from Buerger’s disease, migraine, and back pains reportedly caused by smoking during his youth.
He also revealed that he had colonoscopy and endoscopy and that he has been undergoing regular blood tests. (Editor: Julie Espinosa)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.