Heat index soars to 46.9°C in Aurora province
MANILA, Philippines — Heat index reached “danger” levels in several areas of the country even as isolated rain showers occurred in some parts of Luzon and Mindanao, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said Wednesday.
According to the state weather bureau, rain showers were reported in Luzon and Mindanao, as residents of Casiguran in Aurora province experienced Wednesday the peak of heat index at 46.9°C.
Pagasa said the heat index peak in Casiguran was recorded at 2 p.m.
Meanwhile, the town of Baler, also in Aurora, also recorded a dangerous level of heat index at 41.3°C.
Fifteen other areas in the country reached the dangerous heat index level on Wednesday.
- Guiuan, Eastern Samar – 46.3°C
- Dagupan City, Pangasinan – 45.6°C
- Roxas City, Capiz – 43.2°C
- Ambulong, Batangas – 43.1°C
- Pasay City, Metro Manila – 42.8°C
- Sangley Point, Cavite – 42.6°C
- Aparri, Cagayan – 42.3°C
- Maasin, Southern Leyte – 42.3°C
- Catbalogan, Western Samar – 42.1°C
- Infanta, Quezon – 42°C
- Clark, Pampanga – 41.6°C
- Butuan City, Agusan del Norte – 41.2°C
- Cotabato City, Maguindanao – 41.2°C
- Daet, Camarines Norte – 41.1°C
- Tayabas City, Quezon – 41°C
Heat index of 41°C or higher is considered a “danger” level, which poses health risks, Pages said.
The state weather bureau advised the public to stay indoors as much as possible and drink water regularly. /kga
Click here for more weather related news."
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.