Farmer dies in a Davao del Sur fire
BANSALAN, Davao del Sur – A farmer died in a fire that razed his home in a village here shortly before midnight Saturday, police said Sunday, April 28.
Police Major Rodante Varona said Bien Rene Mendioro Gallardo, 24, was asleep after a drinking session with friends when his house in Purok 5 of Barangay Eman caught fire sometime past 11 p.m. of April 27.
Varona said an initial investigation showed that one of Gallardo’s drinking buddies who lived nearby, Marvin Lascania Torreon, 22, a baker, saw the house on fire but could not save his friend.
According to the police, Gallardo, Torreon and another friend, a farmer named Lloyd Barro Teves, 35, had a drinking session before the incident.
After the three had gone home, Torreon was about to call it a night when he saw his friend’s house on fire. He even heard Gallardo faintly shouting for help but he could not find a way inside, as fire already quickly engulfed the house, Varona said.
Varona said the fire was believed to have been caused by an electric water heater that was left plugged in and overheated. /cbb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.