9 schools in C. Luzon, NCR sustain quake damage
MANILA, Philippines — At least nine schools were damaged following Monday afternoon’s magnitude 6.1 earthquake that rocked parts of Luzon, the Department of Education (DepEd) said on Tuesday.
DepEd’s initial situation report said that the quake damaged one school in the National Capital Region (NCR) and eight more in Central Luzon.
Below are the list of schools that sustained damage:
- Cupang Senior High School in Muntinlupa City
- Laukan National High School in Bataan
- Mabalacat Elementary School in Mabalacat City, Pampanga
- Malusac Elementary School in Pampanga
- Pio Elementary School in Pampanga
- Camias High School in Pampanga
- Subic Central Elementary School in Olongapo City
- San Nicolas Integrated School in San Fernando City
- Sindalan Elementary School in San Fernando City
DepEd said cracks were seen starting from the second floor to fourth floor of Pagcor Building in Cupang Senior High School in Muntinlupa City, affecting 20 of its classrooms.
DepEd reported that other schools had collapsed perimeter fences, damaged pathways, buildings and corridors.
The DepEd earlier ordered the inspection of school buildings and facilities following the earthquake before students and employees are allowed back inside.
Classes in several areas were also suspended. /gsg
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.