Strong chlorine solution in resort pool downs 14 in Bulacan
Updated (4:48 p.m.)
MANILA, Philippines — Fourteen people, mostly children, were taken to hospitals after they reportedly inhaled a high concentration of chlorine in a resort in Pandi, Bulacan on Good Friday.
Pandi police chief Major Avelino Protacio said the incident happened at around 7 a.m., but the resort management did not immediately report it to authorities.
Col. Chito Bersaluna, Bulacan police director, said the victims, aged 3 to 22, complained of dizziness and stomach pain while swimming at the pool around 9 a.m. in Sitio Antonio Resort, Barangay Bagong Barrio.
Citing a report from a resort official, Bersaluna said the victims also vomited after complaining about the pungent odor of chlorine.
They were brought to the Rogaciano Memorial Hospital in adjacent Sta. Maria town and the Bulacan Medical Center for treatment.
Ten of the victims were released from the hospital, as of this posting, but three remained at the Rogaciano Memorial Hospital in Sta. Maria and one at the Bulacan Medical Center in Malolos City, Protacio told INQUIRER.net in a text message.
But the victims who are still in the hospitals were reportedly in stable condition.
Initial investigation showed that there was an excessive amount of chlorine poured into the pool that led to the incident, according to Protacio.
Bersaluna said his staff manning the Summer Vacation police assistance desk nearby failed to immediately respond to the incident as the resort management allegedly tried to hide it.
The victims are all tourists, according to Protacio.
INQUIRER.net is still seeking comment from the management of the resort as of posting time. /kga /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.