Duterte to Naia officials: Improve operations or face military takeover
MANILA, Philippines — Improve your operations or face military takeover.
This was President Rodrigo Duterte’s stern warning to Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) officials on Thursday night, relating how he tapped former military chief Rey Leonardo Guerrero last year to man the corruption-hit Bureau of Customs (BOC).
“‘Yang Naia na ‘yan ‘pag hindi kayo nag-improve diyan, magtake-over diyan Air Force. ‘Yan lang ang paraan diyan,” Duterte said during PDP-Laban’s campaign rally in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan.
(If you don’t improve operations, the Air Force will take over. That is the only way.)
In September 2018, a consortium composed of the country’s biggest conglomerates received the original proponent status (OPS) to rehabilitate the country’s main gateway.
However, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said it could drop negotiations with the consortium if an agreement is not reached before the end of the month.
“Tumatagal na ‘yung usapan kaya nga sinabi ko na gusto ko na lagyan ng cap (The negotiation has taken a long time),” DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade said.
“Sabi ko by April 30, pag hindi pa tayo nagkasundo-sundo, gagawin na namin ‘yung mga proyekto at DOTr ang ia-assign, at itutuloy na namin yan,” he added.
(If they haven’t agreed on anything by April 30, the DOTr will do the project. We will push that.) /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.