Close  

1 dead, 7 fall ill after eating puffer fish off Lapu-Lapu City

/ 04:24 PM March 27, 2019

CEBU CITY — A 6-year-old boy died while his parents and five other siblings fell ill after eating a puffer fish on an islet off Lapu-Lapu City, Mactan Island on Tuesday.

PO2 Lolieboy Terana, desk officer of a police station based on Olango Island, said Mateo Casiao died about 5 a.m. in their home in Sitio Song-ong Pangan-an Islet, Olango, hours after eating the puffer fish with his family.

ADVERTISEMENT

His parents and other siblings also fell ill and were taken to a hospital for treatment.

They were Florencio Casiao, 38, and his wife Margie, 35; and children Gian, 12; Miles, 10; Derick, 9; Shantol, 5; and Maria Teresa, 3.

They were first brought to the Sta. Rosa Community Hospital in Olango but were transferred to Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center in Cebu City.

Terana said the victims felt dizzy and pain in the head and stomach after eating puffer fish for breakfast.

Gian caught a big puffer fish on Monday night. In the morning, Margie cooked the fish into “tinola,” a Filipino soup-based dish made of tomatoes, ginger, onion, and moringa.

After the family had breakfast, all fell ill.

According to Terana, Mateo fainted and later died.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Food Poisoning, Lapu-Lapu city, Local news, Mactan Island, Puffer fish
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.