Close  

Husband of Junjun’s slain aide hits police official’s statement

/ 04:13 PM March 25, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The common-law husband of former Makati City Mayor Junjun Binay’s long-time aide, who was gunned down last week, refuted the statement of a Makati police official that his wife’s killing is not an election-related crime.

READ: Junjun Binay’s aide dies in hospital after Thursday’s ambush 

ADVERTISEMENT

In a statement on Monday, Roderico Millarez tagged as “unprofessional” the statement of Chief Inspector Gideon Ines, of the Makati Police’s Criminal Investigation Division.

“As far as I know, if there are cases being investigated, the authorities will not issue any statement, speculation or conclusion with regard to the conduct of their investigation. This is to avoid any impartiality in their investigation,” Millarez said.

FEATURED STORIES

“The pronouncement of [Chief Inspector] Ines to the media stating [that] Monette Bernardo’s killing is not politically motivated and just an isolated incident is not appropriate and, to, me, is unprofessional,” he added.

His statement came after Ines said that the death of Monaliza “Monette” Bernardo is  “an isolated incident, and not an election-related crime” as she was not a candidate in the previous two elections.

READ: Killing of Junjun Binay’s aide not election-related 

“When I arrived early Saturday morning, March 23, 2019, I immediately went to the Loyola Memorial Chapel morgue to personally handle the preparation of Ms. Bernardo’s funeral wake. Since that time, no one from the Makati Police Station went to me for interview and get my side,” Millarez said.

“Late afternoon, yesterday, March 24, a police officer approached me and introduced himself as Major Gideon Ines. That was the only time I was able to talk to a Makati police officer. He gave me a copy of a Spot Investigation Report dated March 22, 2019 and said the case is for further investigation,” he added.

Millarez said that on Saturday evening, some of his friends showed him copies of newspapers articles which stated that the killing of Bernardo was not election-related.

Hence, he called on Ines and other authorities from the Makati police to stop issuing  statements so as not to jeopardize the investigation.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There are certain groups of people who are taking advantage of Major Ines’ statement,” he added. /gsg

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ines, Jinjin binay aide, killig, Makati police, Monette Bernardo, not political, Roderico Millarez, Supt
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.