Close  

‘Otso’ Senate bets: Supporters from LGUs wary of inclusion in narco-list

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 07:09 PM March 20, 2019

MALABON, Philippines – President Duterte’s recent release of the narcolist, or the list of elected officials supposedly involved in the illegal drugs trade has prompted some local government unit (LGU) officials to withdraw public support for the opposition Senate candidates.

Such was the explanation of Otso Diretso Senate candidates Marawi City civic leader Samira Gutoc, former solicitor general Florin Hilbay, former Deputy Speaker Erin Tañada and Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano on the lack of local officials’ support during their campaign sorties.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last week, President Rodrigo Duterte announced the names of 46 politicians allegedly involved in the illegal drugs trade.

READ: Duterte exposes 46 ‘narco politicians’

FEATURED STORIES

‘Narco-list phobia’

“They (local officials) just don’t want to be listed on the narco list. It’s about that, plain and simple,” Gutoc said in a press conference at Balsa sa Niugan Restaurant here.

“Natatakot pa sila na with the chilling effect of all the things that are happening in our country, ayaw nilang masira ang kanilang IRA (Internal Revenue Allotment)-releasing at mailista sila sa narco,” she added.

‘Climate of fear’

Hilbay, meanwhile, noted that the Duterte administration has been “very successful” in generating a “climate of fear,” which may have prompted local government officials to shun opposition candidates.

“That creates the fear among the local government so they try to err on the side of caution so nagsasara na lang sila ng mga pintuan nila doon sa Otso Diretso,” he rued.

‘Timing is suspect’

ADVERTISEMENT

Tañada said the release of the narco list’s timing is suspect, surmising that it was to stem the support that the Otso Diretso bets have been gaining.

He pointed out that prior to the release of the list, President Duterte said that the opposition candidates are “going straight to hell,” and went on attacking them one by one.

READ: Duterte to Roxas: You’re nothing; I can shoot you for free

“Para sa amin, highly suspect nga yung timing ng itong ginawa ng administration. Ito lang ay nagpapakita na lumalakas kami maski hindi nga rin kami hinaharap ng local government officials,” he said.

‘Private support for Otso’

For his part, Alejano pointed out that there are local government officials who are supporting the opposition slate privately.

He added that local officials are aware that they are being threatened not to show their support to the opposition.

“I want to explain na marami pong sumusuporta sa amin privately,” Alejano said.

“They know what’s happening in the country and they know na tinatakot sila,” he added.

He, however, said that he is confident that local government officials are supporting them in their own ways.

“Naiintidihan po natin but I am confident that in their own ways, they are going to support Otso Diretso,” Alejano said. / gsg

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: “Otso Diretso”, 2019 elections, latest news, latest updates, Local news, Local officials, narco list, news, opposition, Philippines news, Philippines news updates, senatorial candidates, support
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
opinion

Are you from the Philippines?

November 17, 2019 04:00 AM

sports

SEA Games opening rites tickets go on sale

November 17, 2019 12:25 AM

entertainment

Quintuple treat pulls fun, feisty surprises

November 17, 2019 12:20 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.