Close  

Trump says ending South Korea war games not concession to Kim

/ 06:41 AM March 05, 2019

In this June 12, 2018, file photo, President Donald Trump and North Korea leader Kim Jong Un stop to talk with the media as they walk from their lunch at the Capella resort on Sentosa Island in Singapore. AP FILE

WASHINGTON, United States — US President Donald Trump on Monday denied that he ordered an end to major US-South Korean military exercises as a concession to North Korea’s totalitarian leader Kim Jong Un.

The previously annual, large-scale maneuvers — meant to keep troops ready in case of conflict with North Korea — were shelved shortly after Trump’s summit last week with Kim in Hanoi.

ADVERTISEMENT

Trump denied there was any link.

“The military drills, or war games as I call them, were never even discussed in my mtg w/ Kim Jong Un,” he tweeted.

FEATURED STORIES

“I made that decision long ago because it costs the U.S. far too much money to have those ‘games’, especially since we are not reimbursed for the tremendous cost!” he said in the tweet.

There are close to 30,000 US troops stationed in South Korea, and their annual drills with tens of thousands of South Korean soldiers have angered North Korea, which claims they are rehearsals for invasion.

While Trump has ruled out withdrawing US troops, he has repeatedly complained about the cost of the exercises, describing them at a press conference in Hanoi as “very, very expensive.”

Trump’s summit with Kim ended with no progress toward Washington’s goal of getting the isolated country to give up its nuclear weapons. /cbb

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Donald Trump, Kim Jong-Un, news, North korea, South korea, US, war games
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

12 ‘fixers’ nabbed near LTO main office in QC

October 21, 2019 05:41 PM

newsinfo

More female Muslim travelers choose to travel solo

October 21, 2019 05:40 PM

globalnation

Cambodia backs East Timor Asean bid

October 21, 2019 05:37 PM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.