Comelec: Time constraints hampering Otso-Hugpong debate
MANILA, Philippines – Due to time constraints, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) may no longer be able to organize an official debate among the senatorial candidates.
“So far, ang problema oras. Wala na kaming oras for an official debate,” Comelec Chairman Sheriff Abas said on Monday.
(The problem is ample time. We do not have time anymore for an official debate.)
Instead, the Comelec will support senatorial debates organized by media organizations and groups, he said.
Abas added that there are too many senatorial candidates that it would be difficult to set up a debate for all of them.
“Ito nasa 62, even the platform, system ng debate, nahirapan din ang mga networks,” Abas said.
(With 62 candidates, even the networks are having a hard time with the platform and debate system.)
“Mahirap siya buuin for a midterm election,” he added.
Senate candidates of the opposition coalition Otso Diretso earlier asked Comelec to arrange a public debate between them rivals under the Hugpong ng Pagbabago (HNP) party of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte – Carpio.
READ: Otso candidates ask Comelec to arrange debate with Hugpong rivals
Otso Diretso earlier challenged HNP to a debate last February 25, but no one form the pro-administration slate showed up due to campaign schedules. /gsg
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.