Close  

Duterte: My last 3 years in office to be ‘most dangerous’ in drug war

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 10:17 AM March 04, 2019
Duterte

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte delivers his speech at the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of the Isabela City Gymnasium in Basilan on March 3, 2019. TOTO LOZANO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Despite global condemnation on his brutal war on drugs, President Rodrigo Duterte said his last three years in office would be the “most dangerous time” in his campaign against illegal drugs.

This was not the first time Duterte made the warning as he had issued the same threat in a speech in Cebu City last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Duterte vows to ‘wipe out’ drug gangs by end of term

“Don’t feed our children with shabu. Son of a b*tch. I will really kill you. Face to face.

FEATURED STORIES

And I will make I said, the last three years left, this will be the years of the most dangerous time sa term ko. I will really kill you. Stay away [from drugs]. If not, I am sorry,” he said in a speech during the campaign rally of the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) in Zamboanga City.

He remained unfazed over the complaint he is facing before the International Criminal Court (ICC).

READ: Duterte faces new drug war complaint in ICC

“Do not scare me with the  International Criminal Court. That is b***s*** to me. So what if I go to jail? Go ahead. There is food there and I am already old,” he said.

As of January 2019, data from the Philippine National Police (PNP) and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) showed that the total number of drug suspects killed rose to 5,176 since Duterte launched his brutal war on drugs in July 2016.

READ: Gov’t: 72 killed in January 2019 drug ops; total hits 5,176

Duterte claimed that people into illegal drugs nationwide was now at about 7 to 8 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

The President has repeatedly said that there are three million addicts in the country but clarified that the figures was only for Metro Manila.

“There is no inconsistency here. No inconsistency becuase the figure is for [Metro] Manila only,” he said.

“If you include the whole Philippines, Mindanao, Zamboanga, Davao, Cgayan…my conservative estimate, it’s about 7 to 8 million,” he added. “Now I have a problem because these 8 million Filipinos are addicted to a deadly drug called shabu which will shrink your brain and render you inutile.” /je

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Administration, Drug war, Drugs, duterte, Duterte Administration, latest news
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Senate seen to OK ‘ninja cops’ report

October 20, 2019 04:55 AM

lifestyle

Budji Layug: Why design makes all the difference

October 20, 2019 04:55 AM

opinion

Why Tony Carpio never became chief justice

October 20, 2019 04:50 AM

newsinfo

Duterte’s ‘free to kill’ order draws concern

October 20, 2019 04:50 AM

newsinfo

Quake damages 4,000 structures

October 20, 2019 04:45 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.