3 die of suspected measles in Sarangani, South Cotabato
KIDAPAWAN CITY — The Department of Health (DOH) in the Soccsksargen region said another child died of suspected measles on Wednesday in Sarangani, raising the death toll to three in the region since January, health officials said.
Jenny Ventura Panizales, DOH Region 12 focal person on measles eradication, said a 9-month-old child died of suspected measles in Glan, Sarangani, and another one in Alabel, Sarangani.
“The causes of death of these two children are (still) being validated but health workers and parents confirmed of cases of measles in their communities,” Panizales said.
14 percent higher
Last week, DOH confirmed that measles was the cause of the death of a 4-month-old baby in Polomolok, South Cotabato.
The DOH has monitored 342 suspected measles in various hospitals in the region as of Feb. 27.
The number is 14 percent higher than the 299 cases monitored in the same period last year. — EDWIN O. FERNANDEZ
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.