SC rulings proof of Marcoses’ ill-gotten wealth, says Binay
The Supreme Court rulings on the Marcoses’ ill-gotten wealth and the compensation awarded to victims of human right violations during the dictator’s regime were enough proof that the family stole from the people.
Sen. Nancy Binay told a Senate forum on Thursday that the courts’ decisions were the “best evidence” that the Marcoses’ ill-gotten wealth existed, contrary to President Duterte’s claim.
“Then [there were] human rights victims who received the compensation due them. Isn’t that proof enough?” she said.
The reelectionist senator made the remarks after the President expressed doubts about the accusations of ill-gotten wealth against the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos.
Binay’s father, former Vice President Jojo Binay, was a human rights lawyer who was detained during martial law.
Meanwhile, the President has signed a congressional resolution extending until Dec. 31 the maintenance, availability and release of the funds intended for victims of human rights violations during the Marcos regime.
Claims payment extended
The President signed on Feb. 22 Joint Resolution No. 4, which also authorizes the Bureau of Treasury and the Land Bank of the Philippines to “release the funds and ensure the payment of claims, and for the Commission on Human Rights to administer the effective distribution of the funds to qualified victims or their heirs and representatives.”
The P10 billion transferred to the government by the Swiss Federal Supreme Court as ill-gotten wealth of Marcos will be used for the payment of claims.
Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said on Thursday that many families of human rights victims had sought the help of Malacañang because their kin had already died. —REPORTS FROM JULIE M. AURELIO AND CHRISTINE O. AVENDAÑO
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.