Go says he’s waging campaign fairly, legally
Former Special Assistant to the President Christopher “Bong” Go vowed to declare the sources of his campaign funds, crying foul over allegations that his camp violated election rules through excessive spending.
Go was reacting to reports that he violated rules on spending for ads.
He said that like ads promoting the programs of President Rodrigo Duterte, billboards about him that emerged prior to the campaign period were the work of his supporters who had been asking for nothing in return.
“I have no control over their voluntary work,” Go said in a statement.
“They believe that the way this administration governs was right so they strive to support the President,” he added.
“They support, too, those being supported by the President and who would continue real reforms that are happening now,” Go said.
He said the accusations were malicious and baseless.
“Supporters placed those ads and many are free,” Go said.
He said his accusers should start counting his ads starting on Feb. 12, when the campaign for senatorial candidates officially started.
Go said it was unavoidable for the President to have many supporters who placed the ads.
“In fact, I don’t know where those ads are located,” he said.
Go said all his campaign expenses would be declared.
“Just wait,” he said. “I assure you that it would be in accordance with Comelec (Commission on Elections) rules,” Go added.
“Wherever fate brings me, win or lose, I will fight fairly and lawfully,” he said.
“I support the President’s quest for clean and fair elections,” Go added.
Click here for more elections stories.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.