Close  

Prince Philip won’t be charged in UK car crash

/ 07:51 PM February 14, 2019
FILE - In this Friday, Oct. 12, 2018 file photo, Britain's Prince Philip waits for the bridal procession following the wedding of Princess Eugenie of York and Jack Brooksbank in St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, near London, England. Buckingham Palace said Saturday Feb. 9, 2019, that 97-year-old Prince Philip has decided to stop driving, less than a month after he was involved in a collision that left two women injured. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant, Pool, File)

In this Friday, Oct. 12, 2018 file photo, Britain’s Prince Philip waits for the bridal procession following the wedding of Princess Eugenie of York and Jack Brooksbank in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, near London, England. Buckingham Palace said Saturday Feb. 9, 2019, that 97-year-old Prince Philip has decided to stop driving, less than a month after he was involved in a collision that left two women injured. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant, Pool, File)

LONDON — Prince Philip won’t face charges in connection with a car collision that left two women injured, British prosecutors said Thursday.

The decision came just days after Buckingham Palace said the 97-year-old royal would stop driving. The husband of Queen Elizabeth II was driving a Land Rover near the royal family’s Sandringham estate in eastern England when he smashed into another car on Jan. 17.

ADVERTISEMENT

Philip needed help to get out of the vehicle, but he wasn’t injured. Two women in the other car were injured, but not seriously. A 9-month-old child in the car was unhurt.

Both Philip and the other driver were given breath tests and passed.

FEATURED STORIES

“We took into account all of the circumstances in this case, including the level of culpability, the age of the driver and the surrender of the driving license,” said Chris Long of the Crown Prosecution Service. “We have decided that it would not be in the public interest to prosecute.”

Philip wrote a letter of apology to one of the injured women days after the collision, explaining that the sun was in his eyes when he pulled onto a main road near the estate, 100 miles (160 kilometers) north of London.

“I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences,” he wrote to Emma Fairweather, who suffered a broken wrist in the crash.

Authorities said that everyone involved in the collision had been given an explanation in writing about the decision.

There is no upper age limit for drivers in Britain, although drivers over 70 are required to renew their licenses every three years and tell authorities about any medical conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Britain, car collision, Car Crash, case, charges, latest news, Prince Philip, UK
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.