MRT-3: Bomb threat prompted increased security measures in trains
MANILA, Philippines – Management of Metro Rail Transit Line 3 (MRT-3) on Friday revealed it has received a bomb threat via e-mail early last month, which prompted stepped-up security measures at all stations.
MRT-3 said they received an e-mail last January 3, indicating the bomb threat, and has since coordinated with authorities, including the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) to track down the sender.
“That’s one reason kung bakit po kami naghihigpit ng seguridad (why we intensified our security) following recent attacks in Mindanao,” MRT-3 said in a text message to INQUIRER.net.
“We just wanted to be cautious, since we have thousands of passengers daily. We do not want to compromise the safety and security of our passengers and personnel,” it added.
MRT-3 assured the public they prioritize the safety of their passengers and would not hesitate to implement more effective security measures in its all trains and stations.
After the January 27 twin explosions at a Jolo cathedral, which killed 23 people and injured 95 others, MRT-3 enforced a ban on bottled water and other liquid items in all its trains as a security measure. Similar restriction is also being implemented in all lines of the Light Rail Transit (LRT).
MRT-3, however, clarified that some liquid items would still be permitted inside its trains once validated and approved by security personnel and police officers on standby in their stations. /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.