Medialdea: Reenacted budget for entire 2019 ‘disastrous’ to economy
MANILA, Philippines — A reenacted budget for the whole year would be “disastrous” for the economy, Malacañang said Wednesday, opposing the proposal of Senate President Vicente Sotto III.
“A reenacted budget will be disastrous to our economy!” Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea told INQUIRER.net in a text message.
“I am sure Senator Sotto would not want a reenacted budget as it will have a bad effect on our economy. He has been working hard against a reenacted budget. We are one against a reenacted budget,” he added.
Sotto said earlier on Wednesday he is inclined to propose to Senate finance committee chair Loren Legarda to withdraw the Senate version of the General Appropriations Bill and go for a reenacted national budget for the entire 2019.
The Senate President said he is “sick and tired” of all talks about alleged “insertions and pork barrel” in the proposed 2019 national budget, which has resulted in budget impasse.
“I hope that it (reenacted budget) will erase all doubts and allegations of pork and other so-called insertions in the budget,” Sotto said.
The government has been operating on a reenacted budget since the start of the year after Congress failed to pass its proposed P3.757 trillion national budget for 2019.
Sought for comment on Sotto’s proposal, Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno refused to issue a reaction, saying he would go with the Palace statement.
“The Palace will issue a statement,” Diokno said in a text message. /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.