Body of soldier who died in Jolo bombing back in Pagadian
PAGADIAN CITY — The remains of a soldier who was killed in the twin blasts at a cathedral in Jolo was turned over to his family in this city Tuesday morning.
The coffin of Army Pvt. Hernan Bulay-bulay, 25, who was in Jolo for his first assignment, was turned over to his family, led by retired Master Sgt. Hermeniano Bulay-bulay.
The retired soldier said he was proud of his son and had already accepted his death, as it was his own choice to enter the military service.
“Even if my other children would also want to be soldiers, I will not stop them),” he said.
Private Bulay-bulay completed his training on April 5, 2018, under the 1st Infantry Division in Camp Cesar Sang-an in Labangan town, Zamboanga del Sur, according to Capt. Clint Antipala, chief of the public affairs office of the Army’s 1st Infantry Division.
He was soon sent to Jolo on his first assignment.
The older Bulay-bulay said he texted his son as soon as he learned about the twin blasts at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Jolo. But he got no reply.
“I called him and he did not reply. So I knew it,” he said.
Bulay-bulay was set to marry his long-time girlfriend, Sheena Faith Mangao, in a civil wedding this February.
Mangao said they planned to get a civil wedding first while saving for a church wedding three months later.
“But it seems that his time has come,” Mangao said.
Bulay-bulay’s mother, Evangeline, said her son promised to come home to have a vacation with the family.
“But it will no longer happen,” she said tearfully. /atm
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.