Close  

Abu Sayyaf bomb plot uncovered ‘months ago’ – peace advocate

Abu Sayyaf bomb plot uncovered ‘months ago’ – peace advocate

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – Five months before Sunday morning’s bombing of the Roman Catholic cathedral in Jolo, the military uncovered a plot by the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) to bomb the capital town of Sulu province, a peace advocate revealed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Octavio Dinampo, who teaches at the Mindanao State University in Jolo, told the Inquirer over the phone that military intelligence operatives intercepted plans of the ASG to bomb downtown Jolo.

The military then closed the street fronting the Catholic cathedral to preempt any attacks, said Dinampo, who was abducted by the Abu Sayyaf in 2008.

FEATURED STORIES

The street was closed for about 20 days but was reopened after the public complained of inconvenience.

“Now, we have this very brutal and grisly attack inside a church,” he said.

Dinampo believed the bomb attack was perpetrated by the Abu Sayyaf in retaliation to the losses they suffered from the continuing military offensives in the area.

He condemned the incident saying, “This is an act of reprisal and plain and simple terrorism to sow fear among civilians.”

He said the explosions were so loud that he heard it from his house in Sitio Tanjung, Barangay Kajatian, Indanan, Sulu, which is three to four kilometers from the blast site in downtown Jolo via the national highway.

“The explosions came about 45 seconds apart. I thought our troops were firing 105 howitzers,” he said in a phone interview.

Abu Sayyaf bomb plot uncovered ‘months ago’ – peace advocate

CONTRIBUTED PHOTO / United Kabalikat Civicom Jolo chapter, a citizen communications group

Dinampo said there were six military brigades currently operating in Sulu to neutralize the Abu Sayyaf.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last month, President Rodrigo Duterte activated the 11th Infantry Division in Jolo to augment troops deployed in the province, a known bailiwick of the Abu Sayyaf.

In Cotabato City, Maj. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, the commander of the 6th Infantry Division, alerted all military units in mainland Mindanao.

“Heighten the alert level and secure all places of worships, public places or areas of convergence,” Sobejana said in his directive to the Army’s 601st, 602nd, 603rd, First Mechanized Brigade, and First Marine Brigade in Maguindanao, part of Lanao del Sur, North Cotabato and Sultan Kudarat.

He ordered the deployment of soldiers to all churches and mosques across the 6th ID area of operation.

“We will further intensify our intelligence efforts and initiate pro-active security measures to thwart hostile plans,” he assured the public.

Sobejana who heads Task Force Jolo before his assignment as 6th ID chief also asked the public to remain vigilant. /cbb

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: abu sayyaf, Bombing, Jolo, Marian Cathedral of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, news, Octavio Dinampo, Sulu
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.