Soldiers seize firearms, landmines after clash with NPA in Davao Oriental
DAVAO CITY—Government troops recovered several firearms and improvised bombs following a dawn clash against communist insurgents in Cateel town, Davao Oriental on Sunday, the military on Monday said.
Soldiers under 1Lt Al Bryan Villanueva of the 67th Infantry Battalion were on a combat patrol when they encountered 20 armed guerrillas at the vicinity of Pangitgan, Sitio Bitangon, Barangay Aliwagwag around 3 a.m., according to 1Lt Je-Em Tagufa, 67th IB spokesperson.
This led to a 40-minute firefight that saw guerrillas escaping to unknown directions, Tagufa said.
Recovered at the site of the encounter were three AK-47 and two M-16 rifles, an upper receiver of an M-16, four wired improvised landmines, two cellphones, medical kits and two backpacks with personal belongings and rebel documents.
No one from the government troops was hurt during the fighting, Tagufa said.
It was not immediately known if the rebels suffered casualties, the army spokesperson said.
Lt. Col Jacob Thaddeus Obligado, 67th IB commander, ordered a pursuit operation against the insurgents, believed to be remnants of the NPA’s Guerrilla Front 25 along the border between Cateel and Compostela town, in Compostela Valley province.
Capt. Jerry Lamosao, 10th Infantry Division spokesperson said in a previous interview GF-25 had been weakened by battle losses and by desertions and surrender of its fighters. FRINSTON LIM /lzb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.