PRRC initiates probe of new illegal structures at Estero de Magdalena
The Pasig River Rehabilitation Commission (PRRC) has started a “thorough” investigation of the new illegal structures constructed at the Estero de Magdalena in Manila.
In a statement on Wednesday, the PRRC said Estero de Magdalena is one of the priority waterways of the commission because of the “alarming” volume of solid waste and polluted wastewater that it drains to the Pasig River.
PRRC TO INVESTIGATE ALLEGED NEWLY-CONSTRUCTED ILLEGAL STRUCTURES AT ESTERO DE MAGDALENA AFTER RELOCATION AND…
“With this, PRRC Executive Director Jose Antonio “Pepeton” Goitia ordered for an immediate investigation to track down the persons allegedly accountable for allowing the construction of the informal settlements at Estero de Magdalena,” it said.
The PRRC also warned barangay officials about the sanctions they may face for neglect of duty if they don’t implement the solid waste management plan.
On July 2018, the agency relocated more than a hundred informal settler families to Trece Martires, Cavite to start the construction of the P17-million linear park development, continue clearing and cleanup operations and public awareness campaigns with its inter-agency partners.
The PRRC’s River Patrols collected hundreds of sacks of garbage at the Estero de Magdalena during the intensive cleanup drive on January 7.
During the site inspection last week, however, the PRRC again discovered volumes of wastes and new constructions by informal settlers in the said estero.
PRRC Operations Director Anshari C. Lomodag Jr. has coordinated with the City of Manila’s local inter-agency committee to conduct dismantling operations and possible summary eviction of the alleged returnees “whose presence delay the Estero de Magdalena development project of the PRRC.” /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.