Duterte mulls issuing EO for total firecracker ban
MANILA, Philippines — After issuing an executive order limiting the use of fireworks, President Rodrigo Duterte said he is now eyeing to release another order to ban the use of firecrackers “altogether.”
“I will issue an executive order at this early. Para warning na doon sa lahat (It will serve as a warning) that I am banning firecrackers altogether,” Duterte said on Thursday in a speech during the distribution of housing units to wounded soldiers and policemen in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan.
Duterte said he will ask the Justice Department to review the said order thoroughly.
“I cannot…bakit ako papayag na noon 700 dead, tapos maski isang bata lang mawalaan ng kamay (Why would I tolerate this? In the past there were more than 700 dead, even small children can lose their hands). As a President, why would I allow it?” he said.
“Sarahan natin ‘yan that’s the last chapter yung firecrackers (Let’s close this last chapter in our firerackers story),” he added.
The Department of Health (DOH) and Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) previously expressed support for such an order, highlighting that its expected impact would be fewer injuries from firecrackers and an improvement in air quality.
The DOH recorded 321 cases of firecracker-related injuries from Dec. 21, 2018 to Jan. 5, 2019. This is 38 percent lower or 194 cases fewer than the figure reported in 2018.
The DOH attributed this decline to Duterte’s executive order in 2017, limiting the use of firecrackers to designated areas. /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.