DOH records 68% drop in firecracker injuries | Inquirer News

DOH records 68% drop in firecracker injuries

DUQUE CREDITS DUTERTE'S EO, RAINS FOR DECREASE IN CASES
By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 12:08 PM January 01, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) recorded this year the “biggest drop” in the number of firecracker-related injuries during the Holidays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III attributed the reduction from last year’s figures to government restrictions combined with the rainy weather over the past days.

From Dec. 21, 2018 to Jan. 1, 2019, the DOH recorded 139 firecracker injuries, a 68-percent drop from the same period last year, which recorded a total of 428 cases.

FEATURED STORIES

DOH records 68% drop in firecracker injuries

A reveler is treated for injuries following the raucous New Year celebration Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019 in Manila, Philippines. Dozens of Filipinos are injured as they welcome the new year by setting off powerful firecrackers in one of Asia’s most violent celebrations. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

“I would like to believe that this is the historic biggest reduction in fireworks-related injuries,” Duque said in a press conference at the East Avenue Medical Center, noting that there was an 80-percent drop compared to the country’s 5-year average.

Duque said that while President Rodrigo Duterte’s executive order contributed to the reduction of firecracker-related injuries, the “unrelenting” rain experienced by the country could also be credited for the decrease in cases.

“Nature, this time, took the side of DOH. It has been raining in the past several days and unrelentingly so this also contributed on the substantive reduction of fireworks-related injuries,” he said.

President’s Executive Order No. 28, which restricted the use of firecrackers to community zones, was first implemented last year.

There was no stray bullet injury or death reported, Duque said. He clarified that “stray bullets” in the DOH’s perspective were shot in an upward trajectory, not horizontal.

“Kwitis” or rocket was the top cause of injuries, with 30 cases, followed by PVC cannon or “boga” with 16 cases.

Piccolo, which was the prevailing top cause of injuries, came in third with 15 cases followed by luces with eight cases.

ADVERTISEMENT

Majority of the injuries were recorded in the National Capital Region (NCR) with 53 cases, followed by Western Visayas with 26, and Central Visayas with 13.

Central Luzon, Calabarzon each reported 13 firecracker-related injuries.

Duque said that the DOH was expecting the number of firecracker-related injuries rise as reports come in from the regions.

He noted that most additional injuries may arise from children picking up unexploded fireworks in the streets.

Duque also said that 64 percent of the victims were active users of the firecrackers while 36 percent were bystanders. /cbb

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DoH, firecracker injuries, Francisco Duque III, New Year 2019, News
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.