Close  

Ombudsman to probe ‘flood control scam,’ says Andaya

/ 12:20 PM January 09, 2019
ANDAYA House to summon ‘favored’ contractor behind multi-billion project

House Majority Leader Rolando Andaya Jr. INQUIRER file photo

MANILA, Philippines — Field investigators from the Office the Ombudsman have already reached out to the House rules panel and would begin their own probe on the so-called “flood control scam,” Majority Leader Rolando Andaya Jr. said Wednesday.

In a statement, Andaya said probers have requested copies of testimonial and documentary evidence that the committee generated during the public hearing in Naga City last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: House probe tackles ‘flood-control scam’ in Bicol

“Apparently, the Office of the Ombudsman has noticed red flags of corruption on the evidence presented and on the testimonies made during the hearing. We have seen these red flags of corruption ourselves, and we are sure that these will not evade the eagle eyes of the country’s graft-busters,” the Camarines Sur congressman said.

FEATURED STORIES

The House rules committee will cooperate with the Ombudsman, Andaya said.

“We may have opened a Pandora’s Box. We will not stop digging for the truth,” he added.

Andaya has been accusing Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno of “inserting” some P75-billion infrastructure fund in the proposed 2019 national budget without the knowledge of President Rodrigo Duterte, the Department of Public Works and Highways, as well congressmen whose districts would benefit from the programs.

Diokno said the P75 billion should not be called “insertions” as these were “adjustments” that were part of the budget process

Andaya has also been claiming that several contractors — which cornered billions in pesos of infrastructure project — are being used as dummies for Aremar Construction Corp., a company owned by Diokno’s in-laws.

READ: Andaya: P10-B Sorsogon projects all went to Diokno in-laws’ firm, dummies

Aremar is owned by Maria Minez Hamor, the daughter of Casiguran Mayor Edward Hamor. The said mayor is the step-father of Romeo Sicat Jr. who is married to Charlotte Justin, Diokno’s daughter. Mayor Hamor is a re-electionist while his wife, Ester — Sicat’s mother — is running for Sorsogon mayoral post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Diokno and Mayor Hamor have dismissed the accusations. Diokno said the allegations were a mere diversion from the pork barrel issue, while Hamor slammed it as a “scare tactic.”

Diokno has refused to appear before the House probe, but Minority Leader Danilo Suarez, who is backing Andaya’s allegations, said they would move to subpoena the Budget chief.

“Yeah, definitely, ‘pag hindi siya umattend, su-subpoena namin,” the congressman from Quezon said in a press briefing.

“The minority remains firm in its call for a clean and honest governance, free from personal bias and conflicts of interest,” he also said.

Andaya started his exposès after Senator Panfilo Lacson alleged that Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo got P2.4 billion in “pork barrel” funds while the Camarines Sur congressman got P1.9 billion. Both denied Lacson’s allegations. /je

RELATED STORIES:

Camp of Casiguran mayor slams Andaya’s ‘scare tactics’ vs daughter’s firm

Casiguran mayor denies Aremar firm ‘cornered’ P551-M gov’t contracts

P385M Casiguran flood-control project requested, part of NEP— engineer

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Andaya, flood-control, House, Infrastructure, investigation, news, Ombudsman
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Italian pedophilia suspect held at Davao airport

November 13, 2019 03:08 AM

newsinfo

House OKs bill replacing cash rice subsidies with rice

November 13, 2019 03:06 AM

newsinfo

Hold order vs 2 suspects in broadcaster slay sought

November 13, 2019 03:02 AM

globalnation

Comelec deactivates 300K overseas absentee voters

November 13, 2019 02:55 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.