Close  
  • share this
ACT Teachers Rep. Antonio Tinio says Duterte behind the order

House Makabayan bloc to PNP: Stop profiling, red-baiting or face raps

/ 12:51 PM January 08, 2019
House Makabayan bloc to PNP: Stop profiling, red-baiting or face raps

In this file photo, Reps. Arlene Brosas, Carlos Isagani Zarate, Sarah Jane Elago, France Castro and Ariel Casilao face the media in Makabayan bloc’s regular press briefing. INQUIRER file photo / Vince F. Nonato

MANILA, Philippines — The House Makabayan bloc warned on Tuesday that they would file charges against security officers and their superiors behind the profiling of members of the progressive group Alliance of Concerned Teachers (ACT) if they continue doing it.

READ: Hands off our teachers, ACT tells PNP

ADVERTISEMENT

“We strongly demand that the PNP (Philippine National Police) immediately withdraw this memo and its implementation. We will also study the possibility of filing charges against the individual police officers implementing this memo as well as their superiors,” the opposition group said in a statement.

The Makabayan bloc coalition in lower House is composed of Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Zarate, ACT Teachers Reps. Antonio Tinio and France Castro, Gabriela Women’s Party Reps. Emmi de Jesus and Arlene Brosas, Anakpawis Rep. Ariel Casilao and Kabataan Rep. Sarah Elago.

FEATURED STORIES

In a press conference also on Tuesday, Tinio confirmed their plan to take legal action.

“Yes, ACT will be taking legal actions so, malinaw na nilalabag ang mga basic rights including ‘yung right to privacy ng mga guro… magsasampa po tayo ng kaso,” he said.

The PNP earlier confirmed that there is an intelligence operation being carried out against members of ACT.

READ: PNP confirms intel operation vs ACT teachers

The group also called for the immediate hearing of House Resolution No. 2233 to probe the PNP memorandum profiling individuals, organizations, and candidates allegedly linked to the communist movement, branding it as a “classic example of profiling and red-baiting.”

“The PNP memo is right smack into the Duterte administration’s concocted Red October plot last year and a violation of human rights and even election laws because candidates and groups are being tagged as communist supported,” the Makabayan bloc said.

READ: Sison denies legal orgs as Red fronts

ADVERTISEMENT

The PNP is not only “engaging in partisan politics” but was also “unjustly campaigning against candidates.”

“To put it bluntly, they are gauging the extent of the support of the Makabayan bloc and harass their supporters in the run-up to the elections,” they added.

‘Duterte behind the order’

Tinio also said President Rodrigo Duterte was behind the order.

“Of course ‘yung security cluster is working under the direction of the President,” he said.

“Nanggaling ito kay Pangulong Duterte bilang commander-in-chief,” Tinio added. /jpv

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: duterte, House, Local news, Makabayan solons, Philippine news update, Profiling
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.