Close  
  • share this

Palace says travel alerts ‘natural’; asserts Mindanao travel ‘very safe’

/ 02:55 PM January 03, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Thursday said “it’s natural” for “any government” to issue travel warnings to its citizens even as it insisted the recent deadly bombing in Cotabato City was “just an isolated case.”

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a briefing the Palace understands the intention of foreign governments in issuing travel alerts on the Philippines to ensure their citizens’ welfare and security.

ADVERTISEMENT

He also asserted “it is very safe to travel in Mindanao.”

Following the bombing incident in front of a Cotabato City mall where two civilians were killed and which left dozens injured, the United Kingdom and Australian governments respectively issued travel advisories for Mindanao.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: UK issues travel advisory for Mindanao after Cotabato bombing / Australian gov’t issues advisory vs traveling to Mindanao

“It’s natural for any foreign government, or any government for that matter, to be concerned sa welfare, sa safety ng kanilang mamamayan and we cannot blame them kung nagkaroon sila ng ganyang panananaw sapagkat nagkaroon ng bombahan sa Cotabato but ‘yun ay isolated case lang naman,” Panelo said.

“In so far as the National Defense Secretary is concerned, it is very safe to travel in Mindanao,” he added.

In their travel advisories, the United Kingdom and Australia cautioned their citizens from traveling to Mindanao, citing threats of terrorist activity and kidnapping.

Malacañang has already vowed to “get to the bottom” of the Cotabato City blast at the “soonest possible time.”

READ: Palace vows to ‘get to the bottom’ of Cotabato City mall blast

Earlier, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said an improvised explosive device (IED) was used in the explosion, which ripped through stalls selling firecrackers in front of the mall. After the blast, authorities also defused another IED found at the malls’ second floor baggage counter.

Police also said the IED used in the blast is similar to the signature composition of explosives used by ISIS-inspired local terrorist groups. /kga

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Australia, Cotabato, Local news, Mindanao, Nation, national news, news, Philippine news updates, Rodrigo Duterte, Travel advisory, United Kingdom
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.