Quiet New Year: Only 1 gun-firing case reported | Inquirer News
Close  
PNP MONITORING

Quiet New Year: Only 1 gun-firing case reported

/ 05:06 AM January 02, 2019

The case of indiscriminate firing in Metro Manila during the holiday festivities has been recorded in Navotas City on New Year’s Eve, according to the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief, Director Guillermo Eleazar.

But Eleazar said no casualty had been reported due to the incident. The suspect was arrested, and his gun was confiscated by authorities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Except for the incident in Navotas, the NCRPO said there were no recorded stray bullet cases within an 11-day period during the holidays—from Dec. 21 last year to the first day of 2019.

Stepped-up campaign

FEATURED STORIES

The NCRPO had stepped up the campaign against illegal firecrackers, resulting in several cases of firecrackers being confiscated and sellers apprehended.

In Malabon, two residents from the village of Concepcion and one from the village of Tañong have surrendered their illegal firecrackers to the police community precinct on New Year’s Eve.

Mark Andrew Venturero, 32, surrendered 31 “Judas’ belt” firecrackers, while Arvy John Simms, 40, a village councilor in Concepcion, surrendered 28 rims of “Five Star” firecrackers.

On that same night, Frits John Lorenz Fresnidi, 24, of Tañong village surrendered two sets of 500-round Judas’ belt, 10 sets of 1,000-round Judas’ belt, 12 “Higad” and 2 packs of Five Star.

Police said the confiscated firecrackers would be soaked in water and destroyed.

Injured boy

On Sunday, two days before the New Year, a 12-year-old boy from Malabon suffered a minor blast injury on his forehead and left hand for using Five Star.

ADVERTISEMENT

The victim was brought to Ospital ng Malabon to receive antitetanus treatment before he was sent home.

Police were also able to arrest the person who was selling illegal firecrackers to Malabon residents. Rose Reyes, 40, was arrested by policemen and was forced to surrender the firecrackers that she and her husband had been selling in their small retail store.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: gun, Local news, Metro, NCRPO, New Year, Philippine news update
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.