18 firecracker injuries reported in Bicol
LEGAZPI CITY — The Department of Health has recorded at least 18 cases of firecracker-related injuries in the Bicol region.
Senior health program officer Jaime Guerrero, regional coordinator of Violence and Injury Prevention Program of DOH, said the 18 firecracker-related injuries from December 21 to January 1, was “low compared to last year’s with 64 cases during the same period.”
At the Bicol Regional Training and Teaching Hospital in Daraga town, Albay, at least four persons were treated for firecracker injuries on New Year’s Day.
“Most of victims suffered second degree burns in extremities, chest and eye injuries due to blast,” said Dr. Butch Rivera, hospital chief. /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.