Close  

Boy gets finger amputated after firecracker injury – DOH

By: - Reporter / @CMarquezINQ
/ 10:32 PM December 22, 2018

MANILA, Philippines — A 12-year-old boy in Cabanatuan City in Nueva Ecija needed to have a finger on his left amputated on Friday after playing with a five-star firecracker that exploded, according to report issued by the Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday.

The boy, who was not identfied, was taken to the Dr. Paulino J. Garcia Memorial Research and Medical Center in Cabanatuan.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are reminding parents and caregivers to make sure that their children do not play with any fireworks this holiday season because of the danger that they pose; instead, we urge them to be creative and use alternative noise-makers to celebrate,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in a statement.

According to the DOH, this incident is their first recorded case in their surveillance for fireworks-related injuries this year.

FEATURED STORIES

The annual surveillance, which runs from Dec. 21 until Jan. 5, taps 50 hospitals to be alert for fireworks injuries and report them to the DOH. /atm

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Department of Health, DoH, Fireworks-related injuries, Francisco Duque III
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.