Chinese couple finds daughter taken away by gov’t officials 32 years ago
It took 32 years before a couple from Zigong in Sichuan, China finally located their daughter, who was forcibly taken away from them by government officials from the family department.
It was in 1986 when Zhou Yousheng and Zou Guifang were ordered by three Zigong officials to proceed to a family planning office. There, the couple was told that their first child was born out of wedlock. Meanwhile, the birth of their two other children were said to have violated the family planning policy and warranted a payment of 3,000 yuan ($435 today). As per the South China Morning Post on Dec. 10, the couple could not afford the fine and tried to sneak out their daughter. Unfortunately, they were caught by an official and Hongxia was snatched away from them.
Zhou and Zou, through the years, never gave up their tireless search for their daughter, but it would take many more years for them to get anywhere near successful. As per report, it was just last month when the couple made progress in their search, thanks to the media who exposed their story.
The story, after it broke out, compelled the Zigong family planning commission and officials of the local town government to organize a search team for Hongxia.
The search team was successful in their mission and were able to track down Hongxia and confirm her identity via DNA tests.
Thus far, not much information is known about Hongxia, such as the name she has been using since she was adopted, as well as details on the family that took her in and raised her. She, too, has yet to agree to a reunion with her biological parents. Cody Cepeda/JB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.