Close  

Bohol town evacuates 100 families ahead of storm ‘Samuel’

By: - Correspondent / @leoudtohanINQ
/ 06:57 AM November 20, 2018


TAGBILARAN CITY – At least one hundred nine (109) families, or 417 individuals, in Candijay town in Bohol province were in evacuation centers on Monday as a preemptive measure to ensure their safety due to tropical depression Samuel.

Jeryl Lacang-Fuentes, local disaster risk reduction and management officer, said Mayor Christopher Tutor ordered the evacuation of citizens, especially those who live in the upland areas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tutor chairs the Candijay Disaster and Risk Reduction Management Council or DRRMC.

The evacuees are mostly from Sitio Tabunok and Sitio Tanabog of Barangay Cadapdapan, Sitio Tabunok of Barangay Panadtaran, Purok 7 of Barangay La Union, Purok 1 and Purok 4 of Barangay San Isidro, Barangay Cambane, and Sitio Looc and Sitio Cutan of Barangay Boyo-an.

These areas were vulnerable to landslide and flooding, Fuentes said.

“We aim for zero casualty. Sila man gyud ang naa sa Hazard zone nga ngilngig. They have to evacuate for safety and security reasons,” said Fuentes.

She said the evacuees were being given proper assistance by the local government of Candijay. Relief goods are provided to the families.

At least 20 households (80 individuals) from Barangay Cadapdapan were evacuated to Cadapdapan Elementary School, 29 families (111 individuals) from Barangay Cambane were evacuated to Tambongan National High School, 27 families (89 individuals) from Barangay Panadtaran were staying at Panadtaran Elem. School.

Only 7 households (30 individuals) from Barangay La Union took shelter at La Union Elementary School.

A total of 15 families  (67 individuals) from Barangay San Isidro were staying at the San Isidro Elementary School, while 11 families  (40 individuals) from Barangay Boyo-an were evacuated to the barangay hall.

“Generally, the weather is okay but we have experienced scattered rain showers and gusty winds,” said Fuentes.

ADVERTISEMENT

These families had to take shelter for the night for their safety, she added.

“It is better for them to just stay at the evacuation centers for the meantime until the tropical depression passes,” said Fuentes.

Meanwhile, classes on all levels were suspended in pre-school to high school on Monday afternoon, Nov. 19, and on Tuesday, Nov. 20.

There has been no reported flooding and landslide so far, she said.

But she advised the public to stay vigilant because the Visayan region is expected to experience rain and winds on Tuesday.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) has placed Bohol under Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 1. /cbb

Click here for more weather related news."

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bohol, Candijay, Christopher Tutor, DRRMC, Evacuation, news, Pagasa, Philippines, Tropical Depression Samuel, Weather
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.