Barangay chief in teen mauling shows up at DILG; files leave
The Manila village chief who allegedly mauled a 16-year-old male has appeared before the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).
Felipe Falcon Jr., chairman of Barangay 350 in Sta. Cruz, Manila, went to the office of DILG Undersecretary for Barangay Affairs Martin Diño on Monday and filed a 15-day leave of absence to give way for investigations regarding the incident.
According to Diño, Falcon’s appearance at the DILG was not an arrest since no arrest warrant has been issued against the barangay captain.
Previously, DILG Secretary Eduardo Año encouraged Falcon to surrender and be “man enough” to face the consequences of his actions.
“Being a public servant, maging accountable ka at maging responsible sa ginagawa mo. Pakita mo na ikaw ay isang tunay na public servant. Bibigyan ka naman namin ng due process,” Año said in a statement.
Falcon allegedly mauled the teenager after the latter failed to recognize him, and called him “kagawad” instead of “kapitan” (chief). The victim was brought to the hospital for treatment of head injuries.
The DILG chief said they would file administrative cases against Falcon, who is also facing charges for violation Republic Act 7610 or the Special Protection of Children Against Abuse Act.
“Hindi natin papayagan ang mga pang-a-abuso, lalong-lalo na ng elected officials. Kailangan dito ay ipinakikita natin ang pagiging tunay na public servant at walang abusong ginagawa,” Año noted. /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.