Palace: Raps will be filed vs execs, others for Dengvaxia fiasco
Government has taken “forceful action” and would pursue charges against officials and individuals involved in the controversial Dengvaxia vaccine, Malacañang said Tuesday, as the Department of Justice (DOJ) is expected to issue a resolution before the end of November.
“The President is monitoring the issues surrounding the anti-dengue vaccine called Dengvaxia,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.
Panelo said the President “hears all the calls for justice of families of children whose deaths are reportedly caused by the said vaccine.”
Former government officials led by former health chief Janette Garin, incumbent Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and 36 others are facing complaints before the DOJ for deaths linked to the anti-dengue vaccine.
“The Executive branch has taken forceful action, with the Department of Justice (DOJ) taking the lead and is expected to come up with a resolution before the end of the month,” Panelo said.
“Appropriate charges will be lodged and pursued against government officials and private individuals found responsible by the DOJ for this failed health program for children,” he said.
The Dengvaxia vaccine was part of the P3.5-billion mass anti-dengue immunization program in 2016 of the Aquino administration given to around 830,000 schoolchildren and government employees.
The program was suspended in December 2017 after Filipino doctors questioned the vaccine’s possible adverse effects following the admission of manufacturer Sanofi Pasteur that Dengvaxia was risky for those not previously infected with dengue. /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.