Duterte creates task force on federalism
President Rodrigo Duterte has created an inter-agency task force on federalism (IATF).
Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, by the authority of the President, signed Memorandum Circular No. 52 on October 31 but the paper was released only to the media on Monday.
In his memorandum, Duterte said, “The conduct of a public information drive and advocacy campaign at the grassroots level is necessary to raise public awareness on Federalism and constitutional reform as well as to ensure widest public participation in the ongoing initiatives to amend or revise the fundamental law of the land.”
He added that “constant consultations with all sectors of society is essential in every stage of the process of constitutional reform so that all such efforts towards reform will embody the sovereign will and reflect the ideals and aspirations of our people.”
The Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) will be the chairperson of the task force while the Justice secretary will serve as the vice-chair.
The members of the task force include representatives from the Office of the Cabinet Secretary, Presidential Management Staff, Presidential Communications and Operations Office, Office of the Presidential Spokesperson, Presidential Legislative Liaison Office, Office of the Political Adviser, Commission on Higher Education, Development Academy of the Philippines, and University of the Philippines Law Center.
The President ordered the task force to perform the following mandate:
- Develop strategies and implement such activities necessary and proper to raise public awareness on Federalism and constitutional reform;
- Prepare an Information Dissemination and Public Communication Plan to ensure an effective, efficient and uniform undertaking of advocacy activities;
- Undertake consultations with the former members of the Consultative Commit.. government agencies, the private sector, and the public in general concerning Federalism and constitutional reform;
- Liaise with Congress to initiate the process of and address the roadblocks to constitutional reform; and
- Perform such other functions as the President may direct.
Duterte said IATF “shall submit quarterly leports on its activities and accomplishments to the President.”
“The budgetary requirements for the operations of the IATF shall be sourced from appropriate funding sources that the Department of Budget and Management may identify, subject to relevant law, rules and regulations. Funding for succeeding years shall be incorporated in the budget proposal of the DILG,” he said. /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.