outbrain
Close  

Freed Sayyaf captive says ransom paid

/ 05:17 AM November 05, 2018

ZAMBOANGA CITY — A recently-freed Abu Sayyaf captive said presidential peace adviser Jesus Dureza had helped facilitate his release and that his family paid an “undetermined” amount of ransom for his freedom.

Jose Duterte, 66, a farmer, said he was freed by his captors on Nov. 1 around 1:30 p.m. at Barangay Kandayok, Panamao town, in Sulu after Dureza negotiated for his release.

ADVERTISEMENT

Duterte and his wife, Jessica, were taken from their home at Barangay Santa Maria, Siocon town, Zamboanga del Norte in March 2017.

In an interview on Friday, Duterte admitted his family paid some amount for the release of Jessica on Aug. 21 last year.

FEATURED STORIES

Dureza role

Duterte, who was held for more than 20 months, also said he had not been rescued but released by his captors after Dureza negotiated for him.

Maj. Gen. Arnel dela Vega, head of the Western Mindanao Command, said he was not aware of any ransom being paid as the military continued to abide by the no-ransom policy.

“We have an existing policy against paying any ransom,” he said.

But Duterte said ransom had been paid for the release of the group’s other captives.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Arnel dela Vega, freed Abu Sayyaf captive, Jessica Duterte, Jesus Dureza, Jose Duterte, Western Mindanao Command, Westmincom
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.